Here are a host of links and resources to help you make best use of typography on the web.
- Web-safe Fonts are Dead series
- Web Typography Reincarnated: Choosing Fonts for the Web (Thomas Phinney)
- Setting Type for Web Sites (Thomas Phinney)
- OpenType Layout Features in CSS 3 (Thomas Phinney)
- FontFuse for pairing/combinations
- FontDropper experimenting with fonts applied to existing sites
- Designing & editing fonts: FontLab Studio, Fontographer, TypeTool, etc.
- Font Identification
Web Typography General
Font Selection & Combination
- Font Selection in Smashing Magazine
- 29 Principles for Making Great Font Combinations
- Hoefler & Frere-Jones on combinations (advanced font combinations)
- The Elements of Typographic Styleby Robert Bringhurst
- Thinking with Type by Ellen Lupton
- How to Explain Why Typography Matters (to clients, etc.) by Thomas Phinney
- Typophile, the main online typography hangout
- I Love Typography
- Typographica, source of in-depth typography articles (“Type Reviews, Books, Commentary”)
- TypeDrawers, another online typography hangout (more heavily moderated)
- Thomas Phinney’s blog
- Rick Santorum presidential website accused of font piracy
- Wizarding World of Harry Potter (NBC Universal) theme park sued for $2 Million for font misuse
- NBC sued for $2 Million by The Font Bureau
Setting Type on the Web
- Visual Hierarchy in Web Design great overview article
- The Contrast Rebellion: how many sites have inadequate contrast between text and background, and why that’s a huge problem. Join the rebellion!
- The Paragraph in Web Typography & Design great article by Jon Tan (although we disagree on using both first-line indent and extra line space at the same time)
- CSS3 Hyphenation Controls Fine tune as well as turn on hyphenation
- Hyphenation Browser Test by Eric Meyer. Verify if a browser supports hyphenation, and see effects of different settings in CSS and in the content.
- Line Height Sampler. W3 Schools interactive line height player.
- Ideal Line Length for Content by Russ Weakley, MaxDesign. How to control line length and what to set it to.
- Justification vs Ragged Right. Wikipedia article on justification.